Monday, September 20, 2010

First Bump

A couple more weeks in Denmark, all in all, really good weekends. But this is the first time I have felt down yet, whats more is that I hurt people in the process. I was feeling more and more like I couldn't fit into my family, not from them rejecting me but because I can't bring myself to replace my family back home. I can call them mor(mom) and far(dad). I have no idea if it is a failing on my part, but it really made me feel down. Last night I had a good sit down with them and we talked it out. My host mother actually cried and I did too. They told me that they love having me around, that the kids love me to bits and that no matter if I go to another family, I'm always welcome back here. I think my barrier is beginning to break, it's not a barrier I want, but it's also not a barrier I can tear down. I hope that it will dissipate eventually, I really love these people.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear that the barrier is slowly breaking down. You're not replacing family, Brett. Think of it as having two mom's and two dad's, which will eventually turn into three mom's and three dad's. How wonderful it is to have family away from family, don't you think? The more time you actively spend with them, the easier it will be to integrate, to slip into the comfort level that comes with being a part of a family.

    The barrier will go away eventually. =) <3

    ReplyDelete