Monday, August 16, 2010

Week 2...Plus 1 Day

Hey everyone. So I apologize for getting this out later than I wanted too, my weekend was pretty busy...but that just gives a whole bunch more to talk about! Problem is, where to start. Last week went well. Got my first 2 days of school in and all my anxiety about being around kids my own age is gone. The student exchange counselor at the school is a great help, arranging for 2 kids from my class to help me out when I need it. The guy one, Emil, even went so far as to let me hang with him and his friends the entire day... and the next, which is pretty awesome if you ask me! Give it some time I keep telling them, I'll be able to speak Danish eventually. On that note, the language is coming slower now, or so it seems. Maybe I need to apply myself more? Any thoughts on this?

So the days of school gave way to an awesome weekend, my host family drove across Denmark to Sjælland, the island København is on, to attend my host mom's, brother's, fiftieth birthday. Talk about a time and a half. Met the extended host family and yet more Danish hospitality poured forth to affirm my belief that ALL Danes are good people. Following the birthday bash my host parents and I drove back to Jylland, the peninsula attached to mainland Europe, to go see U2 I HORSENS! One of the best times of my life, the music was incredible, special effects were even more so! And I have to say, if I ever go see another concert again, I'll do my best to get in the standing section. The feeling was intense down there, even though I was pretty sure I'd be crippled by nights end. :D So two fantastic nights, we got back to Holstebro at around 2 a.m. Monday morning, and to cap it all off, my host dad said to forget about going to school the next day. So I know there is no contest for best host family, but I think it would be a no-contest event if there was one. The Pugholms would win hands down!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you had fun. As for the language. There is that famous quote that goes, "patience is a virtue" and yeah, you probably DO need to apply yourself more =P do not take unnecessary advantage of your pals' abilities to speak impeccable english. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in Germany I met an old woman who told me when learning German..."Don't open your mouth so much when you speak. You Canadians always open your mouth too much". It helped.
    And forget about translating in your head too. Going from English to Danish and back again can get tiring. Think Danish. It's no longer a chair it's a ...sorry don't know any Danish other than the dessert, LOL!!!
    So my hot question is...what do teenagers do on the weekends for entertainment. Like is there many malls to roam around in or will you have a chance to play some hockey.
    Oh and one more thing, soak it all in Bretters, your year will zip by and I don't want you regretting you should've tried this and that and then it's too late.
    Cheers Auntie Kate

    ReplyDelete